If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (860) 633-8791

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Does Your Commercial Property Have a Mold Problem?

8/27/2020 (Permalink)

Mold grows on a floor by a radiator pipe Mold loves water, so remove moisture problems to prevent mold from growing in your commercial facility.

A mold problem at your commercial building can happen quickly and with little warning. All it takes is a water leak plus 48 hours—and you may be looking at a stubborn mold infestation. And don't forget, mold remediation can be costly and time consuming.

Microscopic mold spores are found almost everywhere, both inside buildings and outdoors. They float in the air, and can find their way into your building through several avenues: open windows and doors, your HVAC system, on your clothing or even on a pet!

The good news is that mold won’t grow exponentially where there is no moisture issue. Focus on eliminating moisture to prevent a mold problem in your commercial facility.

Mold + Moisture = BFFs

When exposed to water, mold spores can quickly grow into colonies. It’s these large groups of mold spores that may produce allergens and irritants. Even humidity that’s higher than normal (more than 45%) can encourage mold growth.

While a sudden flood of water at your building (caused by a burst pipe, storm-driven water penetration or a community-wide flood) is a problem you can’t ignore, many commercial mold issues begin with minor water damage, such as a dripping pipe or water fixture, a small leak in the roof or even just an overly-humid environment. If you don’t know you have a water problem, the resulting mold infestation will have lots of time to establish itself. 

Before you begin mold remediation, you need to address all sources of water or moisture in your commercial building—or the mold may just start growing again.

How Do You Know if You Have a Mold Problem?

One big clue that you have mold in your commercial facility is detecting a strong, musty odor. If your employees or customers notice musty or moldy smells, or report problems with health effects, you should investigate a potential mold problem.

If you notice condensation in any area of your facility, it could mean that your humidity is too high, which could cause moisture buildup and mold growth.

If your building has a history of moisture problems, you’ll need to check regularly for leaks and water buildup—and address the problem promptly. You should also regularly inspect your commercial building’s ductwork and HVAC systems.

Finally, if you discover that building materials or furnishings are visibly wet or moldy, act quickly to stop the leak and remediate the mold. Remember, if more than 48 hours have elapsed since the leak started, your facility may already have become a mold factory. 

Call on SERVPRO for Complete Mold Remediation

You may be able to remedy small moisture problems on your own, but if you discover a large amount of mold growth, don’t hesitate to reach out to an experienced mold remediation company like SERVPRO of Glastonbury/Wethersfield. Our expert staff includes:

  • microbial remediation specialists
  • water damage restoration technicians
  • structural, upholstery and fabric drying techs
  • odor control technicians

SERVPRO will arrive at your location promptly and put our training, experience and equipment to work to contain the mold infestation, halt damage, remediate all traces of mold and restore your property and facility to its pre-damage condition.

Help Is Here

The team at SERVPRO of Glastonbury/Wethersfield has specialized training and experience in water damage restoration services, fire and smoke damage restoration services, biohazard cleanup and natural disaster prevention and cleanup. Call SERVPRO of Glastonbury/Wethersfield (860.633.8791) any time.

If your business suffers a storm, fire, water, wind, mold or biohazard disaster, call SERVPRO of Glastonbury/Wethersfield today at 860.633.8791

Other Helpful Blog Posts

SERVPRO publishes educational articles on how to protect your home or business from disasters and how to deal with mold, fire, water, sewage, storm and other damage.

SERVPRO of Glastonbury/Wethersfield
1408 Neipsic Road, Glastonbury, CT 06033
IICRC Certified
Ralph DiCristofaro 
Certified SERVPRO technicians
Call 860.633.8791 
24-hour emergency service

If your business suffers a storm, fire, water, wind, mold or biohazard disaster, call SERVPRO of Glastonbury/Wethersfield today at 860.633.8791

Other News

View Recent Posts