If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (860) 633-8791

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

4 Tips for Fire Safety

10/22/2019 (Permalink)

A burned stove in a kitchen Unattended cooking is one of the biggest causes of fires in the home. Prevent a disaster by following these fire safety tips.

While no one expects a fire in their home, the reality is that fire departments in the United States respond to a fire call every 24 seconds, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).

Follow these four fire safety tips that can help you and your family avoid being surprised by a fire disaster in your home. 

1. Cook safely

Cooking—especially unattended cooking—is the biggest cause of fires and injuries in homes, according to the NFPA.

  • Stay in the kitchen if you’re frying, boiling, grilling or broiling If you have to leave—even for a short time—turn off the stove.
  • Remain nearby if you are simmering, baking or roasting, and use a timer to remind you to check the food often.
  • Keep flammable items (oven mitts, dish towels, wooden utensils or food packaging) away from the cooktop.
  • Maintain a “kid-free zone” at least three feet around the stove or where any other hot food is being prepared (such as near a slow cooker).

2. Heat your home safely

As winter approaches, follow these heating safety tips from the NFPA:

  • Keep flammable items at least three feet away from heating equipment, such as a furnace, space heater, fireplace or wood stove.
  • Turn space heaters off before leaving a room or going to sleep.
  • Never leave pets or children unsupervised near a space heateror wooden stove, and keep them at least three feet away.
  • Never use your oven to heat your home.
  • Have your furnace and fireplace cleaned and inspected by a professional before using them this winter.

3. Check your electrical cords

About 2,000 fires each year are due to damaged electrical cords, overloaded plugs or short circuits, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). 

  • Purchase and use cords, power strips, etc. that are certified by an independent testing lab (check the label).
  • Check all your electrical cords for fraying, cracks or other signs of wear, and replace damaged cords or have them professionally repaired.
  • Use extension cords only when necessary and not for an extended period of time. Don’t run extension cords across doorways or under carpeting.
  • Avoid overloading outlets and power strips with more plugs than they are intended for.
  • Use cords labeled “for outdoor use” when using appliances or tools outside.

4. Test your smoke detectors

  • Test your smoke detectorsonce a month and change the batteries at least once a year (perhaps at the beginning or end of daylight saving time).
  • Replace any smoke detectorsthat are more than 10 years old. 
  • Install a smoke detector inside every bedroom, outside each sleeping area and on every floor in your house, including the basement.

When you have suffered a fire or other disaster at your home or business, call SERVPRO of Glastonbury/Wethersfield today at 860.633.8791

We’re Here to Help

After a fire, the team at SERVPRO of Glastonbury/Wethersfield uses specialized fire restoration training and experience to quickly clean up and restore your home to pre-fire condition. Call SERVPRO of Glastonbury/Wethersfield (860.633.8791) any time.

Source: The Allstate Insurance Company

Other Helpful Blog Posts

SERVPRO publishes educational articles on how you can protect your home and business from disasters and how to deal with mold, fire, water, sewage, storm and other damage.

Older Homes Pose Unique Fire Risks

Your Appliances Can Be a Fire Hazard

10 Ways to Prevent and Survive House Fires

Your Safety During a House Fire

SERVPRO of Glastonbury/Wethersfield
IICRC Certified
Ralph DiCristofaro 
1408 Neipsic Road, Glastonbury, CT 06033
Certified SERVPRO technicians
Call 860.633.8791 
24-hour emergency service

When you have suffered a fire or other disaster at your home or business, call SERVPRO of Glastonbury/Wethersfield today at 860.633.8791

Other News

View Recent Posts